I am so obsessed with that illuminating, dewy glow when it comes to make up. So much so, preparing for this post made me realise the lack of “mattifying” make up I have. For me matte make up, if not done properly can look really dry, caked or sometimes ghostly. I much prefer the healthiness of a dewy make over, although if not done properly you could look oily or shiny, so you must be careful when applying and ensure your make up is oil free.
I want to show you my favourite GO TO GLOW PRODUCTS that I use on myself and clients.
It makes sense to start with primers. A primer is applied to the whole face before foundation, it helps make up to last longer and can set the tone from the get go. For example some primers’ purpose is to make the make up stay for 24 hours, some primers give the foundation a matte finish, some colour correct and some brighten. I have 3 gorgeous primers that give me that glow in pictures and real life…
- WONDER GLOW – Charlotte Tilbury £38.50 Not only does this primer brighten your skin it also hydrates and nourishes it, classing it as make up and skin care. I think it is so important to care about the ingredients in the products we use on our skin. I’ve run out of my wonder glow primer as it became an everyday essential – well over due a top up!
- GIRL MEETS PEARL – Benefit Cosmetics £24.50 This primer smells amazing and feels amazing and I think that is because of the raspberry and chamomile. Now, I’m not sure if it is actually a primer as such, it is more of an luminizer which means this beauty can go under foundation and shine through or it can go on top and act as a liquid highlighter. With this I would suggest an additional primer like 15 hour stay flawless.
- RADIANCE VEIL – Illamasqua £32.50 So this primer is my latest purchase. I was walking around Soho, London came across the flag ship store and this pot of gold was staring me in the face. I really love it, it illuminates the skin on another level, it definitely needs a foundation on top to tone the radiance down a tad. It is quite similar to the Charlotte Tilbury Wonder Glow as it also has skin care tendencies, such as vitamin C for extra moisture as well as fine shimmer particles but it is definitely brighter. It has a lovely golden tone to it and you only need a tiny bit. Below (left) is me wearing the radiance veil and below right is all 3 primers/luminizers.
Once your primer is applied with foundation you want to ensure that the right points of your face have that added highlight. This not only gives you the ultimate glow but it adds structure and definition to your face, like contouring. Some people prefer to use strobbing as a way of defining the face which means no contouring and just highlight, I however like to softly contour and highlight the right spots. This would include, brown bone, cheek bone, bridge of my nose, under my eyes, inner corner of my eyes and cupids bow.
1. HIGHLIGHTING COMPACTS – Bobbi Brown £34 I think Bobbi’s compacts are my favourite because they not only add that glow but they add a pop of colour too. My favourite compacts are the shimmer brick in bronze and the new highlighting compact in Telluride which is a gorgeous and unusual mauve.
2. MINERALISE SKIN FINISH – MAC cosmetics £24 I didn’t even realise that MAC’s mineral highlighting powders were £10 cheaper than Bobbi Brown. I have the Gold deposit shade which is very bronzed border line copper and looks amazing on olive/tanned skin and the Cheeky Bronze shade which is more pink and looks gorgeous on most skin tones. I would like to pick up a couple more shades as the compacts last ages as you need very little product. Always tap your brush before applying one of these.
3. CONTOUR ROCKS – Contour Cosmetics £22 These cool little nuggets of bronze do give a gorgeous bronze/highlight in one swoop. £22 is such a reasonable prices because these contour rocks will last ages. If you want a bronzed finish to your make up look like I did for Love Island’s Olivia Buckland, then give these a whirl.
4. BEYOND POWDER OMG CHAMPAGNE SHIMMER – Illamasqua £32 I needed a powder highlighter that was almost neutral and didn’t have the same bronzed, copper, pinks and browns as my existing compacts. This powder gives me a soft neutral white gold highlight, which is almost translucent but so radiant at the same time. I think it looks gorgeous during the day and can be easily intensified for the evening. The perfect shade for brow bones and bridge of your nose too, I mean you don’t want a copper bronzed brow arch! Image right show cases this champagne shimmer.
HIGHLIGHTING STICKS & LIQUIDS
- STROBING STICK SHINE – Iconic London £29.99 This strobing stick is so highly pigmented it makes such an impact in photos. The shade ‘shine’ has a subtle pinky tone to it which looks gorgeous when carefully applied on the cheek bones, above your bronzer. I used this on a beautiful bride because I knew it was give her that picture perfect highlight and definition in photos.
- WATTS UP – Benefit Cosmetics £24.50 This was my first cream highlighting stick and it’s still up there with the best. It has a champagne finish to it so again a great neutral product for all skin tones. Apply straight from stick to face or dab on with finger tips and sponge.
- STATEMENT SKIN – SO SUSAN £15 This strobing crayon came in my glossy box and I am so glad that it did. It has pearl tones to it which makes it super reflective and the chiselled end makes it easy to apply. The So Susan brand’s philosophy is to give you great make up without compromising on skin care, check them out.
- BORN TO GLOW – NYX cosmetics £7 Regardless of their amazing prices, NYX is one of my favourite make up brands. The quality is brilliant and the price is head turning. For £7 you can get a range of highly pigmented liquid highlighters like the one I have in gleam. I’ll be taking a trip to boots to pick up the other shades.
I hope I haven’t given you too many options! With so many highlighters to choose from I was hoping this would break it down for you. If you have any questions about highlighters or getting that glow for your skin then just write below or email me via the contact page.
Lots of Love,